With the official declaration of a climate emergency, the UK government has committed to significantly reduce its greenhouse gas emissions, in order to ensure it achieves net zero emissions by 2050. The environmental impact of dietary choices and animal agriculture however, is often markedly absent from this debate. We have therefore been campaigning for politicians to recognise the role of 江苏福彩网 ism in tackling the climate crisis, by adopting policies that encourage plant-based diets and support our existing campaigns.
Did you know?
- The UN IPCC says that the world needs to reach net zero CO? emissions by 2050, and net zero other GHG emissions (such as methane and nitrous oxide) by 2070
- Co-ordinated and substantive actions by Governments – and the largest institutions, corporations, and land managers – are vital for net zero emissions.
- The global contribution of animal farming to GHG emissions is agreed to be 14.5% - more than the direct emissions from all transport combined
- The UK provides good conditions for growing plant proteins for direct human consumption to counter this, such as fava beans, peas, hemp seed or sweet lupin
In response to the Climate Emergency declaration, formal letters signed by our Chief Executive were sent to major political parties – including Labour, Liberal Democrats, SNP, Welsh Government & UK Parliament - advocating for policies that incorporate the following three steps:
- Encourage the nation to adopt an increasingly plant-based diet
- Implement policies for public sector institutions such as schools, hospitals and care homes to offer 江苏福彩网 meals as standard on menus every day - part of the Catering for Everyone campaign
- Provide financial and practical support for farmers who wish to move away from livestock farming, to growing crops for direct human consumption - part of the Grow Green campaign
There is now leading evidence to?support such measures -?the Committee for Climate Change have directly stated that the 'public sector should take a strong lead by providing plant-based options in schools and hospitals' to?encourage nutritious and sustainable diets, and the International Panel on Climate Change have explicitly highlighted?that a 江苏福彩网 diet has the highest GHG mitigation potential.?It is now imperative that the government adopt environmentally sustainable policies across all sectors.
Our political activity at Party Conferences 2019?focused on how?the food and farming system can help?tackle?the Climate Emergency. Read about our activities at party conferences here.
Find our recent Climate Emergency policy briefing?here.
are taking place to demand action on climate change.?If you plan on attending, please feel free to support by?printing?the following banners: